Warrensburg Animal Rescue is currently looking for an individual to fill the position of Animal Care Coordinator III at our Old Drum Animal Shelter facility.
– Please read the job description carefully prior to applying.
– Given the intricacies of this work, you must be 18 and older to be considered.
REPORTS TO: Shelter Director
The Animal Care Coordinator III (ACC-III) is responsible for assisting the director in the overall management of Warrensburg Animal Rescue’ (WAR)s facility—Old Drum Animal Shelter (ODAS). The position’s main purpose is to oversee and assist with humane daily care and cleaning protocols, and ensure efficient movement of animals through the system from intake to adoption. The ACC-III, with support from the shelter director, provides supervision and training to the animal care staff and animal care volunteers to ensure standards are current and best practices are applied. This role works directly with other members of the management team to determine appropriate and responsible plans for animals within ODAS’ care. We are looking for someone with compassion for animals and human beings, and a commitment to the mission, values, and goals of WAR. The position requires teamwork and attention to detail.
● Daily care of the animals including cleaning, feeding, medicating, & exercise/enrichment;
● Training and supervising staff and volunteers involved in animal care;
● Ensuring animals are moved through the program in a timely and efficient manner, record-keeping is up-to-date and accurate, behavioral and/or medical concerns are addressed with the management team, and a good quality of life is maintained for all animals on a consistent basis
● Ensuring proper animal care protocols are implemented and regularly updated, including feeding regimens, cleaning protocols, behavioral enrichment & training;
● Maintaining and monitoring overall wellness of the animal population by regular observation and interaction, and through solicitation of feedback from staff;
● Working with WAR to create strategic written plans for adoption readiness for animals who have (1) been with us longer than one month, (2) or are on medical hold and undergoing treatment, or (3) determined to have long-term special needs
● Coordinating kennel and cage space and ensure appropriate room is available/ready for incoming animals, while considering medical and behavioral needs;
● Overseeing all record keeping and data entry into Shelter Manager;
● Updating daily reports on animal status and population;
● Updating kennel card descriptions, and ensuring kennels are marked with appropriate signage when it applies (staff only, just arrived, color coding, etc.);
● Assisting with medical exams of dogs and cats with the shelter director and/or veterinarians;
● Assisting with the Foster Care Program in collaboration with the ODAS;
● Transporting animals as-needed to off-site events, from out-of-state transport, veterinarians, etc., sometimes outside of regular working hours;
● Consulting with shelter director and veterinarian on euthanasia decisions;
● Greeting and guiding visitors, answering the phone, and providing animal care and behavior information and advice to members of the public as needed;
● Other responsibilities as directed
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS & ABILITIES
● Knowledge & experience in animal behavior, training, handling & husbandry in a shelter, kennel, or veterinary setting, with 3-5 years of hands-on professional experience
● Excellent oral & written communication skills
● Adept & flexible multi-tasking abilities as well as exceptional organizational skills
● Friendly, upbeat & outgoing personality with a commitment to superior animal care & customer service
● Ability to work well under pressure & in intense, emotional situations
● Ability to safely lift 80 lbs and be capable of bending over/cleaning for extended periods of time
● Must be able to work closely with animal dander
● Routinely work with cleaning agents such as disinfectant, bleach, and other cleaners
● Weekend and holiday work is required
● A valid driver’s license as well as good driving record are required
● Willingness to: work as a team member, pitch in as needed & have fun!
If you require alternative methods of application or screening, you must approach the employer directly via email@example.com.